Monday, October 24, 2011

Today we met our daughter!

What a day it has been!  We were picked up at our hotel at 10:30 by our driver.  He is a nice fellow that speaks English fairly well.  He took us to the Ministry of Education where we met our coordinator (she lives here in St. Petersburg and works for our agency to handle the Russian side of our adoption),  At the MOE, we were brought in to an office where a woman told us about our little miss, gave us some basic background information, and said we could now go meet her!  Woohoo!  Not so fast.  Next we had to stop at another municipality within the region to get permission to visit her.  Again, they approved the visit so NOW we are off to the baby home.  Woohoo!!
We arrived at the baby home.  As soon as we entered we put on blue plastic booties over our shoes.  We were waiting in the hallway - I thought we were waiting for the director.  Next thing I notice a young woman coming around the corner holding a toddler's hand.  The baby looked up and it was our girl!!  Our coordinator said "Let's go!" and we followed them down the hall, up the stairs to a tiny room.  They left her with the 3 of us.  She is absolutely beautiful!  I think Bill & I were both in shock at first.  We started pulling out toys, our coordinator spoke to her in Russian while showing her the toys.  She took to them immediately.  She seemed quite comfortable with both of us.  We were pleased to see this because it is very common for the children to be distant with men because they never see them.  All of their caregivers are women.  But this was not the case for our girl.  At one point, Bill was holding her and he lifted her up in the air.  She giggled so loudly.  It was music to my ears!
The doctor that we hired to check her arrived.  She had already read all of her medical charts.  She examined her while I held her and she cried.  My heart broke.  The great news is we received an excellent report!  The doctor was extremely nice and helpful.  I am thankful we made the decision to have her come.  She made us more comfortable with everything.  After about 2 hours, little miss seemed to be getting tired.  Our coordinator took her back to her caregivers.
We signed our intent to adopt her today.  We never thought we would be making this decision on the first day but it just felt right.  After excellent reports from 2 doctors and a fantastic visit, we knew this little girl is our daughter.
It was a wonderful day that we will never forget.  What a relief after so much waiting and worry.  We are looking forward to seing her again tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. HOW EXCITING! I can't believe it! We knew she was going to be a precious bundle of joy. Can't wait to see her! Enjoy tomorrow's visit and have a great night. I'm sure you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know if I should read these updates at work, because they make me well up with happiness and I can’t let people see me like that. I’m so glad everything went well so you can begin to relax and enjoy the time with her more. I have a feeling it will be tougher to sleep tonight than it was last night, anticipating the next visit. When you play with her, make sure you hand her things in her left hand. Need more lefties in this family. Enjoy it. Love, A.L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That is fantastic!!! We are so excited for you two! Well, that's just like God. When He moves, you better hold on. It's just going to be the best time of your life. So what toys did she take to and what did you take her? Were you able to contain yourself...I do not think I could have. I know just reading this, the emotions are just crazy! I can't pull this up on my computer at work...too many blocks...so I rush home each day to see the latest news. We are just unbelievably thrilled for you two! I'm sure your face hurts from smiling too much with with absolute JOY! Love y'all and praying lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill and Suzy
    Steven and I just read your last update
    I can't stop crying! We are so happy
    She sounds beautiful and you sound happier
    than I can ever remember
    Looking forward to your next post
    God bless all of you!
    Elizabeth and steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I am still crying. So happy everything is going well. I am thinking of you often, you were the topic of conversation at workout this morning:) Congratulations! Denise Y

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I am writing this I am crying. I am sooooo happy for you both. What an exciting day! You are a mommy and a daddy now! Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood. Congratulations! Love and hugs Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Mommy & Daddy!!! We wish you all the BEST. We look forward to seeing you guys & your lovely baby girl..
    Bernie & Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG___ Best Wishes__ I could not be happier for you both, Robert just gave me the news and now can't wait to see the new precious little girl. My best to you both and travel safe and happy.

    Sue and Tony

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying to pull myself together just to type...tears of love, tears of joy...she is your destiny. Can't wait to hear more! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzy, I am so happy and excited for you and Bill. I am checking your blog everyday just to hear what's new. You both are going to make amazing parents to this little girl. We are praying for your family every night :)

    God Bless,
    Kimber

    ReplyDelete