The big news of yesterday was we received Juliana's passport and all the final documents we need for our embassy appointments in Moscow. We will take the train there Monday. Staying at our hotel for so long, we have gotten to know most of the staff very well. They have all been nice but our favorite has been Vera. She is a sweet, 18 year old girl that works in the restaurant. We saw her nearly every morning. She would get Bill a latte as soon as we sat down. She would explain to the cook at the egg station that I wanted egg whites. One day this past week, when she realized I didn't feel well, she brought me some aspirin. When she realized Juliana loved bananas, she started giving us a bag of them every few days. But more than all that she is a kind, young girl who has a dream. She left her parents and little brother some 500 kilometers away to study tourism management at the university. Her hope is that one day she will see the world. She told me the other day that she loved my family and our daughter and that she would miss us. Today we gave her a gift to show our gratitude and said our goodbyes. With a sad face she said she wished we didn't have to go. When we returned to our room, there was a gift for us from her. She gave Juliana a little stuffed bear and Christmas ornaments for us. I don't know what it was exactly about this young lady that touched our hearts, but she truly did. I hope she sees all her dreams come true. I know mine have.
Here we are with Vera.
Little Miss after her bath. All ready for Santa!
I know she is a child that has grown from your heart but I can't believe how she favors you! As she grows up, her personality and characteristics will too! I know this is the best Christmas ever for you, and I wish you many more joyous times with your family! She has totally completed your family! Have a very Merry Christmas and a safe trip home! Thank you for letting me share in this journey with you, and the privilege to pray for all of you! Love you!
ReplyDeleteMichelle
Christmas Eve here...almost Christmas Day, and my Bill and I are finishing wrapping and getting ready to try and sleep before the big day tomorrow. We get just as excited as the kids,in a little different way because our excitement is in seeing them open their gifts. Hard to believe, since Mack is now 15, we have been doing this for many years! My thoughts right now are not on my children, but on your little girl. I cannot wait for her to experience Christmas Eve Church service, not being able to sleep before Santa comes and then the pure joy of Christmas morning. I realize she may not have had this opportunity if it had not been for you and Bill, and your desire to open up your heart to another little being. I know how blessed you feel, but I feel how blessed she really is.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas family of three, Merry Christmas!
Love, love, love you!
Suzy, you and I have always been emotional, but I don't know if it's becoming even more so with age or my “femotions” or just joy, but I always end up misty eyed when reading these entries. We were reminiscing last night about your announcement at dinner a year ago and (you'll get this) how it turned out none of our gifts were made in Russia. But now it's the origin of your best gift ever. We can't wait to share in your joy. I'm particularly interested in seeing this head tilt. And a special thanks to Vera for making you feel at home during your time away. I can't help but think, living in a state that thrives on tourism, that your paths are destined to cross again. Merry Christmas and safe train travels tomorrow. Love, Aunt Linda
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas and Have a wonderful day___ this is the first of many wonderful Christmas's to come as the awesome family you are.
ReplyDelete