Monday, December 12, 2011

The Weekend.

We enjoyed a nice weekend.  On Saturday, Bill & I along with our driver and translator went to Pushkin.  The area had it's first snow of the season the night before and it was beautiful.  There were lots of families with excited children throwing snowballs and playing in the snow.  We toured the Catherine Palace, the summer palace of Russian Tsars.  It was built in the 1750's.  The palace was magnificent and completely over the top.  There was so much gold leaf - I think they said they used over 200 pounds of gold.  Probably the most well-known room is the amber room.  Every inch of wall space in this room is covered with amber of all shades.  It's rather beautiful.

The band that welcomed us to the Catherine Palace.  They played Jingle Bells!

Here we are with the palace behind us.  It is very long.


The Great Hall

I told you there was a ton of gold!

The exterior


 Next we went to Pavlovsk Palace.  This home was a gift from Catherine the Great to her son, Paul I.  The palace and property were beautiful.  Somewhat subdued compared to Catherine's, yet still grand and warm.  The wood floors were amazing with elaborate designs.We had a wonderful day.  Bill & I really enjoy spending time with our driver and translator.  We have interesting conversations as we all have so many questions about each other's homeland.  They are such fun.


A snowman at Pavlovsk

One of the many beautiful floors.

One of many gorgeous chandeliers.


Bill & our translator taking in the chapel.

In front of the palace and a monument  to  Paul I.

Pavlovsk

Saturday Bill & I had a date night.  We went to a well-known fine restaurant, Palkin.  It originated in St. Petersburg in the 1700's.  About 10 years ago they reopened in the original space with replicated decor. It is a lovely romantic space with delicious food.

Today we went to the State Hermitage Museum.  It is one of the largest in the world.  We believe it after attempting to see a portion of it today!  It has been opened to the public since 1852.  It has a variety of exhibits including Greek, Roman and Egyptian artifacts, painting and sculpture from Michelangelo, Monet, Renoir, Matisse, Rodin, van Gogh, Picasso, Cezanne-it goes on and on.  We took a tour of the diamond section of the treasure gallery.  We heard fascinating information about the history of jewelry.  I could have certainly picked out a few pieces for myself!!  Afterwards we went to a nearby cafe with our driver.  Now we are back to our home away from home.  I'm writing the blog and Bill is watching the Bucs game (or Bucs disaster!) online.  It was a great weekend.  This city is amazing.  So much history, beauty, and culture.  We will forever treasure this time we spent in the birth place of our daughter.  We have taken a million pictures so that we can one day share all that we have experienced with Little Miss.  We look forward to getting to see our girl again tomorrow.  We missed her this weekend.


The State Hermitage Museum


Bill in front of the Peacock Clock


Bill in front of a Matisse


You can click on the photos for a larger view.  Thanks to everyone for your emails and comments.  We truly enjoy hearing from you.  It means so much to both of us.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! What an amazing weekend you two had! How excititing to see such treasures in the Palaces and the museum. At least if you can't be with Little Miss, you can still be together and have such great experiences. The pictures are fantatstic...so glad they let you take them inside. Many museums and sights these days don't allow cameras. Well, we are looking forward to hearing about today's visit with Little Miss. I'm sure she missed you over the weekend. Counting the days until you no longer have to say goodbye. Love, Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pictures are beautiful___ After seeing this I think I would love to visit as I heard but really never saw some of the pictures you have shared. Absolutely beautiful.Looking forward to hearing about your visit and now your on the end of separation and will be together always as a family. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I am so happy you all are exploring and getting to see her homeland- you will have so much to share with her! Can't wait to hear about her second trip to get her passport photo...hopefully this one goes a little better. Get the puffs ready Bill! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you two and love the pictures!! You have lots to scrapbook!(LOL)
    Looking forward to reading about your Monday visit with your daughter. Its so cool to type the words, "your daughter"! Can’t wait to see the Klein family and it will be a great start to the New Year!! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete